The CD4017, also known as CD4017BE, is a widely used integrated circuit (IC) that belongs to the CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) family. Specifically, the CD4017 is a decade counter and divider IC, frequently utilized in electronic projects for various applications due to its ease of use and versatility. Here’s a detailed description of the CD4017 decade counter divider IC:
- Decade Counter Functionality: The CD4017 is primarily designed as a decade counter, which means it can count in sequences of ten, cycling through ten different states or outputs sequentially.
- Divider Circuit: In addition to being a decade counter, the CD4017 also acts as a divider, dividing the input frequency by a factor of 10 at each output. For instance, if the input frequency is 10 Hz, each output of the CD4017 will produce a 1 Hz signal.
- Power Supply Voltage: The CD4017 typically operates within a voltage range of 3V to 15V, making it compatible with a variety of power supply configurations.
- Simple Integration: Due to its straightforward functionality and ease of use, the CD4017 can be easily integrated into electronic projects for applications such as LED chasers, sequential flashers, frequency dividers, and more.
- Diverse Applications: The CD4017 is commonly used in electronic projects like digital clocks, traffic light controllers, decade counters, frequency dividers, and any application that requires sequential counting or division by ten.